School Attendance and Exclusions

Information for Children & Young People

What is a Part-Time Timetable?

If you are finding it hard to attend school full-time, your school might suggest that you go on a part-time timetable. This means that you will only attend school part of the time. It can only be introduced as a very last resort and can only be temporary. The maximum amount of time you can be put on a part-time timetable for is 6 weeks or one half-term.

School can’t suggest a part-time timetable as a disciplinary measure or because they’re struggling to meet your needs, it can only be put in place if it will benefit you.

What is a Suspension?

An exclusion which is given for a specific amount of time or has an end date is a fixed term exclusion. This used to be referred to as ‘Fixed Term’.

What is a Fixed Term Exclusion?

A fixed term exclusion is when you are asked not to attend school for a certain amount of time. This is sometimes called suspension. Any exclusion, even for a short period of time, must be formally and accurately recorded.

Only the Head Teacher can exclude you and they can only do it for disciplinary reasons. You cannot be excluded because school is struggling to meet your needs.

The Head Teacher must write to you/ your parent or carer and tell you the reason for the exclusion, how long you have been excluded for and your rights to make representations to the governing body if you disagree with the exclusion. The Head Teacher must also inform the governing body and the Local Authority (LA) if a fixed term exclusion lasts longer than 15 days, or it will result in you missing an examination.

There is a legal limit for the number of days you can be put on fixed-term exclusions in one academic year. This is 45 days. Only in exceptional cases can a fixed-term exclusion be extended or converted to a permanent exclusion.

What is a Permanent Exclusion?

A permanent exclusion is where you are told you cannot come back to school. This is also called being expelled. There are a few things the school is legally required to do when you are permanently excluded, including:

  1. The Head Teacher must write to you/ your parent or carer immediately explaining that the exclusion is permanent and give the reason for the exclusion.
  2. The Head Teacher must inform the school governors and the Local Authority.
  3. The school governors must meet within 15 days of receiving the notice of exclusion (if the exclusion will mean you missing an external or National Curriculum exam they must take reasonable steps to meet before the date of the exam) and you have the right to attend.

You have the right to make ‘written representations’ explaining about you feel about the exclusion and that must be considered by the governors.

If the governors decide not to reinstate you (let you back into school), then you can ask for this decision to be reviewed by an independent review panel.

I have an EHCP and I’ve been permanently excluded, what happens now?

The Local Authority (LA) should review your EHCP and help you to find alternative education as soon as possible.

Make an Enquiry

If you would like any further information or support please get in touch.

How Did We Do?

We try to provide the information, advice and support that you need.